Group counselling can be an effective way to supplement treatment as it can provide validation through others. At times, treatment gains can occur that are unique only to a group setting. Groups can be structured differently to meet the needs of the requesting population. Some group counselling is provided in an 'open' format where joiners are welcome at any time throughout. Some group counselling is provided in a 'closed' format where members are selected prior to its start and are required to attend for the full duration of treatment.
What you can expect:
- One 2 hour session per week (up to 10 sessions)
- Exploration of the risks and benefits
- Closed group format
- Pre-screening selection and informed consent to ensure client safety
- Ongoing promotion of confidentiality and group norms**
- Predetermined topics
- Facilitated discussion
- Grounding techniques
- Ongoing direction with positive Coping strategies
- Relevant psychoeducation
JR Wellness goal: promote client's safety, self-care, and psychoeducation
**While confidentiality and group norms are promoted amongst clients during each session, they cannot be fully guaranteed due to the number of clients and nature of a group setting.